When nature calls while camping in a pop-up camper, the last thing you want to worry about is whether the door will stay closed. Unfortunately, this is often a problem for campers.
The door can be difficult to close properly, or it may keep popping open. It can be frustrating and inconvenient, especially when you’re trying to get some privacy.
So if your pop up camper door won’t stay closed, you will have a big problem on your hands.
Fortunately, there are several ways to fix this problem, but it’s essential to find the right one for your camper. The most important part is determining the cause of the problem first.
Here are some possible cause why pop up camper door won’t stay closed
- Something is blocking it.
- The door is not properly aligned.
- Weak or broken spring.
- The door tracks are dirty.
- The striker plate’s screws or bolts are loose.
- Broken or worn-out hinge.
- A misaligned or bent frame.
Something is blocking it
One possible reason your pop-up camper door won’t stay closed is that something is blocking it. It might be an animal, a branch, or some other obstruction.
If you can’t see what is blocking the door, try shining a light around or reaching in to feel for anything that could be causing the issue.
If you find something blocking the way, try to remove it and see if that fixes the problem.
If it doesn’t, you may need to call in a professional to take a look and find out what’s going on.
The door is not properly aligned
When the door isn’t aligned correctly, it can be difficult to keep it closed. Look at the striker plate on the camper’s body to check if the door is properly aligned.
The striker plate is the metal piece that lines up with and connects to the hole in the bottom of the door.
If the striker plate is not lined up with the hole in the bottom of the door, you will need to realign the door.
To do this, loosen the screws that hold the door on top and bottom of the camper’s body.
Then, adjust where necessary so that both holes line up evenly. Once they are lined up, tighten down the screws again and test to see if it stays closed.
Weak or broken spring
If the door doesn’t close all the way, it can be difficult to get it to stay closed. It may be due to many factors, such as age and use.
Over time, springs can wear out and break, which can cause the door to be difficult to close.
If this is the case, it may be necessary to replace the spring for the door to stay closed properly.
Otherwise, it could further damage the door and even the camper itself.
The door tracks are dirty
If the tracks on which the door slides are dirty or have debris, it can cause the door to slip out of place and not stay closed.
To fix this, you’ll need to clean the tracks and eliminate any debris in them.
You can use a vacuum cleaner or a brush to clean the tracks. Be sure to get rid of all the dirt and debris in them so the door will slide smoothly.
If there’s any built-up grease or oil, you can try using a degreaser to remove it.
Once the tracks are clean, check to make sure that there’s no debris blocking the door from closing properly. If there is, remove it and then test the door again. It should now stay closed properly.
The striker plate’s screws or bolts are loose
Another potential problem could be that the screws or bolts that hold the striker plate in place have become loose over time.
Striker plates are the metal pieces on the door frame that the latch mechanism attaches to, and they are responsible for keeping the door closed.
If they become loose, the door will not stay shut, no matter how tightly you close it.
There are a few things you can do to fix this problem.
The first is to tighten the screws or bolts that hold the striker plate. You can do this with a screwdriver or a wrench.
The second thing you can do is to apply some lubricant to the striker plate. It will help keep it from sticking and make it easier for the latch mechanism to engage with it.
Broken or worn-out hinge
It can be caused by several things, such as age or use. If the hinge is not fixed, the door will not stay closed, which can be a security issue and a nuisance.
Depending on the severity, there are a few ways to fix this problem.
If the hinge is just loose, it can be tightened with a screwdriver or pliers.
If it is broken, it will need to be replaced. The easiest way is to remove the door and take it to a hardware store or camping supply store to find a replacement.
Sometimes the entire hinge needs to be replaced, but often just the pin or screws that hold it in place need to be replaced.
A misaligned or bent frame
If this is the case, it will need to be fixed for the door to close correctly.
You can do a few things to try to fix the problem yourself before taking it in for repairs.
First, make sure that the frame is aligned correctly. If it’s not, use a hammer and a straight edge to adjust it.
You may also need a screwdriver or wrench to tighten loose screws.
If the frame is bent, you can try using a mallet or a rubber band wrapped around the frame to bend it back into shape.
However, if these methods don’t work, you’ll need to take your camper in for repairs.
If you’re unsure what the cause of the problem is, it’s best to take your camper to a qualified technician for inspection and repair.
Sometimes, the entire door might need replaced if the closure mechanism is beyond repair.
So before taking any drastic measures, be sure to investigate all possible causes of the issue.
How to keep the pop up camper door stay closed
One common problem with pop-up campers is that the door won’t stay closed. It can be a major nuisance, especially when it’s windy outside.
Here are a few tips for preventing your pop-up camper door from flying open.
- Make sure the door is properly latched. There should be a latch on the top and bottom of the door that needs to be engaged to keep it closed.
- Use a bungee cord. Hook the bungee cord around the door handle and then attach it to something sturdy outside the camper. It will keep the door from opening inadvertently.
- Use a piece of rope. Tie one end of the rope around the door handle and then tie the other end to something sturdy outside the camper. This method will also keep the door from opening inadvertently.
- Add weight to the door. You can do this by attaching a heavy object to the door or installing an additional weight inside the camper. Place a weight like a rock on top of the door handle. It will keep the door closed without using any type of restraint.
- Install a secondary locking mechanism. It can be a pin, cable, or strap that wraps around the door and attaches to something else on the camper.
- Use a clamp on the door track. It will stop the door from opening more than a few inches.
- Modify the camper frame. One way to modify the frame of your pop up camper is by adding supports for the door. It will help keep the door from swinging open and keeps it closed while you are driving. You can add these supports by drilling two holes on either side of the top of the doorframe and using screws or bolts to attach them to your camper frame. You can also use metal brackets instead of screws or bolts.
It is crucial to find the cause of the problem and fix the pop-up camper door that won’t stay closed. If you are unwilling to fix it yourself, you can ask for professional help. It will ensure that you can use your camper without any issues.
But, Before you spend any money, make sure the problem isn’t something as simple as a loose hinge or screw.